B+ Grades A+ College Applications by Joie Jager-Hyman, EdD
This alternative college guide from a former Dartmouth assistant admissions director-turned-consultant gives non-straight-A students advice on the many options available to them and tips on how to identify, gain admittance to, and pay for the schools that will allow them to flourish.
Less-than-perfect grades? No problem!
Contrary to popular opinion, you don’t need to have a 4.0 GPA or a perfect jump shot to get into a good college. This insider’s guide reveals easy tweaks that will pay off big-time in showing admissions officers that you as a whole—not just your SAT scores—are a perfect fit for their incoming class. With stellar advice on getting into schools that will allow you to thrive, this handbook reveals how to:
- Find great colleges that are a good match for your strengths (and will overlook less-relevant weaknesses)
- Painlessly beef up your application
- Tailor extracurriculars to showcase your uniqueness
- Make sure your recommendation letters emphasize the right qualities
- Write original essays that reveal traits beyond your transcript
- Make an impression on admissions officers and college interviewers
- Create an early-admissions strategy to increase your likelihood of acceptance
- Help your chances if you’re deferred
- Get into brand-name schools through the side door
- Communicate about learning disabilities or special circumstances
- Get scholarship money based on attributes other than grades
- Customize your financial aid strategy
BONUS: Includes an appendix of 130+ selective colleges to consider!